Our illustration program provides you with a broad background in a variety of fine arts and design techniques encompassing artistic study in both traditional and digital media. Since the tools and media illustrators use are constantly evolving, we emphasize effective visual communication of a message, narrative or point of view so students master the ability to create meaningful images.
Your journey into the expansive world of illustration starts with black and white media with emphasis on original concept development, translations from verbal to visual, composition, lighting, and perspective. From that foundation, you will explore:
- Color materials and techniques
- Continued development of visual communication skills
- Fundamentals of graphic design
- Digital rendering with raster and vector programs (i.e. Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator)
- 2-D animation
- Best business practices and professional portfolio development
- Options to explore digital 3D model making, 3D printing, and 3D animation
Your individual goals and diverse career objectives may lead to intensified work intended for print, electronic media and/or multimedia environments found in careers such as advertising, editorial or book illustration, concept art for games and movies, scientific illustration, illustrations for comics and graphic novels, etc.
Faculty members in the illustration area of study are accomplished artists who are professionally productive in illustration and scientific/medical illustration.
See a suggested illustration four-year plan.
View more illustration student work.